With a relentless focus on making health care better, The Cigna Group’s strong 2023 financial results demonstrate the company’s proven track record of delivering on its promises. Powered by a diverse portfolio of services, including two primary growth engines, Evernorth Health Services and Cigna Healthcare, the company delivered powerful results that stand out in today’s competitive market.
“The Cigna Group had a strong year of consistent performance and sustained growth, extending our track record of delivering positive results,” said David Cordani, chairman and chief executive officer at The Cigna Group. “With our expertise and diverse breadth of capabilities, we continued to improve affordability and clinical outcomes, while expanding access and choice for those we serve.”
Evernorth: Health services designed to redefine health care
As the health services division of The Cigna Group, Evernorth is committed to tackling the toughest challenges in health care. In 2023, clients relied on Evernorth to launch breakthrough initiatives to guide them through emerging issues like the soaring costs of GLP-1s, the introduction of biosimilars to the market, and supporting people through the growing mental health crisis, among many others. Over the past 12 months, Evernorth repeatedly earned the first-mover status in launching new solutions to:
- Manage the impact of cardiodiabesity, a complex confluence of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
- Navigate the surging demand for ultra-high cost GLP-1s, such as Ozempic, Wegovy, Mounjaro, and others.
- Advance transparency initiatives for prescription drug pricing by providing additional plan design options.
- Expand behavioral health and health coaching capabilities, both in-person and virtually.
- Align incentives to advance the adoption of value-based care.
- Support independent pharmacists in rural and underserved communities.
Additionally, our Express Scripts business, which is a part of Evernorth Health Services, successfully implemented the single largest contract ever in the pharmacy benefits industry. Throughout 2023, thousands of our co-workers collaborated and worked with dedication so we would be ready to begin fulfilling well over 400 million annual prescriptions for 20 million Centene customers starting at the beginning of this year.
Cigna Healthcare: Advocating for better health for all
The Cigna Group’s long-standing growth engine, Cigna Healthcare, provides comprehensive medical and coordinated solutions to employer clients and individual customers in our U.S. Commercial, U.S. Government, and International Health operating segments. Cigna Healthcare prioritizes guiding customers through the health care system and empowering them with the information and insights they need to make the best choices for improving their health and vitality.
In 2023, Cigna Healthcare:
- Simplified prior authorizations for both clinicians and customers.
- Advanced affordable access to biosimilars, including adding an alternative to Humira as a preferred product on formularies.
- Addressed greater need for behavioral health care through data, technology, and personalization.
- Made care more connected and seamless through integrated programs and solutions.
- Expanded its reach, becoming the first licensed global insurer in Saudi Arabia
The Cigna Group’s Momentum into 2024
The organization successfully repurchased 7.8 million shares of common stock for $2.3 billion in 2023 as part of its continued focus on executing its strategy and investing in its future.
“While The Cigna Group reflects on these achievements and many more, we recognize that there is still more work to do,” Cordani said. “I’m proud of what we delivered last year, and we’re focused on our opportunities to drive even greater impact and growth in 2024 and the years ahead.”
Press Release: The Cigna Group reports strong Q4 and FY23 results
Dive deeper into The Cigna Group's 2023 results, which reflect revenue and earnings growth across its diversified portfolio of businesses.